Tuesday 14 August 2007

La Paloma - No More ;-)

Felt uncomfortable then tried to google an English lyric of La Paloma and came to Wikipedia.

Belows are some of what is written about La Paloma on Wiki:

"La Paloma" is one of the most popular songs ever written, having been produced and reinterpreted in diverse cultures, settings, arrangements, and recordings over the last 140 years.

The song was composed and written by Sebastián Iradier (later Yradier) after he visited Cuba in 1861. The first line of the original song is "Cuando salí de la Habana, válgame Dios!" Iradier may have composed "La Paloma" around 1863, just two years before he died in Spain in obscurity, never to learn how popular his song would become.

The influence of the local Cuban habanera gives the song its characteristic and distinctive rhythm. Very quickly “La Paloma” became popular in Mexico, and soon spread around the world. In many places, including Mexico, Spain, Hawaii, Germany, Romania and Zanzibar, it gained the status of a quasi folk song. Over the years the popularity of "La Paloma" has surged and receded periodically, but never subsided. It may be considered one of the first universal popular hits and has appealed to artists of diverse musical backgrounds.

Guinness World Records lists Yesterday by the Beatles as the most recorded song with apparently about 1,600 recordings.[2] It has been suggested that “La Paloma” has more than 2,000,[3] perhaps even more than 5,000 recordings.[4]

The song has been performed by more than 50 notable artists. It's also played in 15 movies. A documentary film on the song is expected to be released 2007: “La Paloma”[6]


And much more...

Here we enjoy a sweet perfomance by Evis Presley who sang an English adaptation. It's noted that this version misses a paragraph comparing to the one performed by Julio Iglesias.


No More

Elvis presley
Album: Blue Hawaii


No more do I see the starlight caress your hair
No more feel the tender kisses we used to share
I close my eyes and clearly my heart remembers
A thousand good-byes could never put out the embers

Darling I love you so and my heart forever
Will belong to the memory of the love that we knew before
Please come back to my arms, we belong together
Come to me let's be sweethearts again and then let us part no more.

No more do I feel the touch of your hand on mine
No more see the lovelight making your dark eyes shine
Oh how I wish I never had caused you sorrow
But don't ever say for us there is no tomorrow

Darling I love you so and my heart forever
Will belong to the memory of the love that we knew before
Please come back to my arms, we belong together
Come to me let's be sweethearts again and then let us part no more.