Tuesday 1 September 2009

15 books

Here are the rules: Don't take too long to think about it. Fifteen books you've read that will always stick with you. First fifteen you can recall in no more than 15 minutes. Tag 15 ( or more) friends, including me because I'm interested in seeing what books my friends choose.

1. The three musketeers ("Ba người lính ngự lâm" in Vietnamese): "All for one, one for all!!"

2. The Hunchback of Notre Dame ("Nhà thờ Đức Bà ở Paris" in Vietnamese): What a touching ending and a beautiful name of Esmeralda.

3. One hundred years of solitude ("Trăm năm cô đơn" in Vietnamese): Borrowed from eT. The last book I read before coming to the UK. Usually read it with the hidden desk lamp so that my parents didn't know I stayed up too late.

4. Quo Vadis: "Quo Vadis, Domine?" The movie made by Poland is also very nice with the so..o..oo pretty actress, beautiful scenes and bloody Rome massacre.

5. Nỗi buồn chiến tranh (translated into English under the name "The sorrow of war"): How an individual's life is spoilt by the war. I hate war. I hate violence.

6. Đống rác cũ (could be translated as "The rubbish of the old regime"): I personally think the writing style is comparable to "Vanity Fair" by Thackeray even though the context are very different. "Vanity Fair" is also a good book for its non-boringly continuous humorous tone.

7. The bridges of Madison county ("Những cây cầu ở quận Madison" in Vietnamese): A true love! I think the last paragraphs are one of the most beautiful work ever written.

8. Animorphs (this is a set of around 50 small books actually): I thought about Harry Potter but ultimately chose this one due to its imaginability and creativity and somewhat less popularity.

9. In Desert and Wilderness ("Trên sa mạc và trong rừng thẳm" in Vietnamese): Kind of the classic for children.

10. Cuore (Italian, translated into Vietnamese under the name "Những tấm lòng cao cả" or "Tâm hồn cao thượng"): This will be one of the very first books for my kidsss :-)

11. Martin Eden: I once hoped that I wouldn't be trapped into the situation of Martin ^^

12. Divine Mistress ("Người tình tuyệt vời" in Vietnamese): A friend lent it to me when I was in the hospital. The name was a bit cheesy but the love story was notable.

13. The letter of an unknown woman ("Brief einer Unbekannten" in German, "Bức thư của người đàn bà không quen" in Vietnamese): An unimaginable love story. The greatest thing is that it could be real, everything could be real!! Other short stories by Stefan Zweig are nice as well.

15. 天龙八部 ("Thiên long bát bộ" in Vietnamese, can be tranlated as "The eight kungfu styles of the dragon"): A typical kungfu work by the famous kungfu writer Jin Jong (金庸).

15. The Third Chimpanzee: The Evolution and Future of the Human Animal. I'm reading this one, and after that the other two by Jared Diamond. Very interesting history from the view of a biologist.